Busy Girls’ 10 Minute Lunch
— Amber Trejo M.S., beRevolutionarie Nutritionist
Busy and healthy sometimes don’t fit into the same sentence but we are going to change that because this recipe only requires 10 minutes and 5 ingredients; 2 of which are powerhouse vegetables, cauliflower, and kale! Not only is this dish quick and easy to make, it’s high in fiber and has a good amount of muscle-building protein.
Both of these vegetables are members of the cruciferous vegetable category which are known for a plant compound called sulforaphane. Research has shown that this sulfur-containing compound may help inhibit cancer cell growth. Kale and cauliflower are both high in fiber, vitamin C, B6, & K as well as the minerals phosphorus, potassium, and manganese. Kale can also give you almost 200% of your daily value of vitamin A.
Cauliflower is a great alternative to rice if you’re looking for a low carb substitute or if you struggle getting more vegetables in your diet. I have my clients swap some of their grains for riced cauliflower to help boost their vegetable intake. Kale is much hardier than other leafy greens like spinach. It has more of a “meatier” texture which can really help fill up the dish and your stomach. The two really balance each other out.
Having a high quality, quick-cooking protein option like Fork In The Road’s Honest Pasture-raised Beef Hot dogs makes getting protein into a meal a bit easier. Pasture-raised meats and meat products guarantee you’re not getting any hormones or additives that do not belong in your food. Another benefit of pasture-raised meats is since the animal grazes on grass most of its life, its nutritional content increases. For example, the cow who eats grass has more omega 3 fatty acids and vitamins in their muscle than a cow who eats a grain-based diet.
What You Need:
- 4 oz frozen cauliflower rice
- 3 oz chopped kale
- 1 Fork in the Road Honest Dogs Pasture-Raised Beef Hot Dog
- Coconut oil spray
- 1 dash garlic salt
What You Do:
- Heat up a saucepan on medium heat
- Spritz pan with coconut oil spray (about 2 sprays is enough to coat the pan)
- Add Cauliflower to the pan (you should hear the pan sizzle to let you know it’s hot enough)
- Add chopped kale
- Cover with a lid for 2 minutes or until the kale wilts. The water from the frozen cauliflower will help so no need to add water.
- While the kale and cauliflower rice cook, chop your Pasture-raised hot dog into slices and place in the air fryer at 400 degrees for 6 minutes or until they reach 165 degrees with a meat thermometer.
- Uncover your vegetables and mix with a spatula.
- Spritz one more time with your coconut oil spray, then add your dash of garlic salt and saute for 30 more seconds ( your cauliflower should begin to brown at this point).
- Remove all items from the pan and air fryer, plate, and enjoy!
- An air fryer is a game-changer when it comes to cooking quickly, but if you don’t have one that’s ok!
- You will add your sliced hot dog to the pan FIRST before you add the vegetables and saute for 4 minutes before adding in the cauliflower and kale. Follow the recipe as is above after adding in the vegetables.