Baby Bella Pizza
— Amber Trejo M.S., beRevolutionarie Nutritionist
What do you do when you have mushroom caps, vegan cheese, and left-over tomato basil pasta sauce in your pantry? You make the best gluten-free, low-carb pizza! This alternative pizza is a real craving crusher and is a great snack that can be enjoyed any time of the day guilt-free! It’s light on the stomach and won’t weigh you down like a traditional slice would.
Mushrooms do not get enough love on our plates. We should be incorporating more mushrooms into our diets because they have awesome nutritional benefits. Mushrooms are low calorie as well as natural fat-free and cholesterol-free. Mushrooms are a good source of selenium, a powerful mineral that is critical in the support of metabolism, thyroid function, and reducing oxidative stress. Mushrooms also supply us with vitamin C, several B vitamins, folate, potassium and are a non-fortified dietary source of vitamin D2.
What You Need:
- 8 baby Bella mushroom caps
- 1.5 oz dairy-free mozzarella cheese or organic grass-fed shredded mozzarella cheese ( I use the brands Daiya and Organic valley, respectively)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1.5 oz pasta sauce (I use Cucina Antica sauce)
- Dash of garlic salt
What To Do:
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with tin foil.
- With a slightly damp paper towel, gently wipe off any dirt residue on the mushroom caps and de-stem the mushrooms.
- With the opposite end of a plastic spoon or a butter knife, gut the gills inside of the caps. Be careful as to not break the edges of the cap.
- Mix the basil and coconut oil together in a small mixing bowl
- Once your mushrooms are gutted and cleaned, pour 1/4 teaspoon of coconut oil and rosemary around the inside of the mushroom cap. With your fingers, massage the basil and oil around the inside of the mushroom cap to evenly coat.
- Place the mushroom cap in the oven and bake for 8 minutes.
- Remove mushroom from the oven and with ½ teaspoon add the tomato sauce to each cap, a finger pinch of cheese, and a pinch of garlic salt.
- Place back in the oven and cook for another 10 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Remove, let cool for 5 minutes, enjoy!
- If you’re using mozzarella cheese instead of vegan cheese, be aware this cheese will melt and burn faster than dairy-free cheese. Reducing cooking time by 3 minutes will be helpful but do increase the cooking time in step 7 by 3 minutes.
- Feel free to use your favorite pizza toppings. I am a classic lover but with extra cheese!
- You can use 2 large portobello mushrooms rather than the small ones for this recipe too.