— Amber Trejo M.S., beRevolutionarie Nutritionist
What is the perfect snack? Something that is crunchy, flavorful, light but yet filling. What is the best investment when it comes to kitchen appliances? The air fryer! There is so much you can do with an air fryer, making this nutrient-dense and delicious snack is one of them. These air-fried chickpeas really hit the spot when you have the afternoon munchies! I really love chickpeas, not only for their versatility in meals but also because of their nutritional profile.
Chickpeas are part of the legume family and out of all the various beans we can choose from, garbanzo beans, otherwise known as chickpeas, come in second with the highest amounts of antioxidants, lentils come in first place. These delicious beans are also high in two important things when it comes to nutrition; protein and fiber. I emphasize these two nutrients a lot because they both are vital to long term health. Protein is essential for building lean muscle tissue and supporting a healthy immune system. Protein is also essential for bone and skin health!
You want a diet rich in fiber. Having a high fiber diet has been linked to several health benefits. A high fiber diet helps maintain a healthy functioning gut, aids in lowering LDL cholesterol which helps promote heart health and helps stabilize blood sugar levels. Aside from being great sources of fiber and high in plant-based protein, they are also good sources of folate and manganese. So these little crispy chickpeas may be small, but they are fiercely nutritious!
What You Need:
- 1 15 oz BPA free can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tbsp avocado oil or coconut oil spray (or a spray version)
- 2 tsp Trader Joe’s Everything But The Bagel Seasoning (Any seasoning you want will work well!)
What To Do:
- Once you rinse and drain the chickpeas, on a flat surface place them on a double layer of paper towel and place another paper towel on top to absorb any moisture. Leave like this for 20 minutes to “dry out”. If you don’t do this part, you run the risk of soggy chickpeas.
- Once they have dried out for 15 minutes, preheat your air fryer at 400* for 5 mins for the remainder of the time they are drying out.
- Put the garbanzo beans, oil, and seasoning in a bowl and mix around gently until they are all coated in oil and seasoning.
- Transfer them into the air fryer basket and fry for 10 minutes at 375*. Make sure the chickpeas are spread out! Otherwise, they will steam and not fry.
- Open fryer, with tongs, toss around and then cook for another 10 minutes. They should be golden brown and crunchy! If they are not, air fry for another 5 minutes and turn the temp up to 400*
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Do not refrigerate them or they become soft and lose their crunch appeal.