— Amber Trejo M.S., beRevolutionarie Nutritionist
Whether we returned to work on-site or are still working from home, we are still super busy! What I find to be a commonality among busy women like ourselves is that we can still manage to squeeze in a workout but nutrition seems to take a back burner. This could possibly be because a workout is an hour or less and cooking could be the same or longer, and the thought of it can be daunting. This easy foil packet dinner can take the stress off of cooking while still keeping nutrition on top of your list!
This meal is high in protein to help build and maintain lean muscle mass, has adequate amounts of carbs to support your energy levels, and healthy fats to support your hormones and increase vitamin absorption. This recipe is for two servings but you can make a few days more if you’d like when you double the ingredients. The only thing you’d have to do is choose what vegetables you’d like to add to the side.
Chicken breast is a lean protein source with less than 3 grams of fat per serving and is a high-quality protein source. It is also a good source of selenium, choline, vitamin B6, and iron. There are so many types of potatoes, all with varying nutritional profiles. This recipe used fingerling potatoes but you can use any potatoes you prefer; I personally love purple Peruvian potatoes due to their rich anti-inflammatory compound anthocyanin! Potatoes are rich sources of potassium (more than a banana!) and vitamin C. I used avocado oil in this recipe because it has a high smoke point and the polyphenol compounds in it are not as delegate as extra virgin olive oil, so the health benefits do not get destroyed in the cooking process. I do not recommend using extra virgin olive oil in cooking because the heat kills off the healthy polyphenols. Avocado oil is rich in monounsaturated fats which are linked to improved heart health and is rich in the antioxidant lutein which is beneficial for eye health.
After cooking the foil packets, I steam a few vegetables of choice for the side. This meal takes about 30 minutes to cook and 10 minutes to prep. You can have this cooking while you’re on that boring conference call or while you complete a BeRevolutionarie workout! This will make an ideal nutritious lunch or dinner for a few days for the busy women out there.
What You Need:
- 2 Chicken breast
- 1 Small netted bag of fingerling potatoes (or 2 large potatoes of choice)
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil + 2 tsp
- 1 Tbsp Braggs 24 herbs and spice seasoning + 2 tsp
- 2 Slices of lemon
- 2 Lemon wedges
- 2 Sprigs fresh rosemary
What To Do:
- Preheat oven to 375* degrees
- Slice potatoes into thin (about a ¼-½ inch thick) slices
- On a baking sheet, line 2 large square cuts of aluminum foil and rub a teaspoon of avocado oil on each sheet
- Place a chicken breast on each sheet and season each breast with a teaspoon of Bragg’s seasoning
- Place the sliced potatoes around the chicken and drizzle a ½ tbsp of avocado oil over each packet of potatoes and chicken
- Sprinkle a ½ tbsp of Bragg’s seasoning over each packet covering potatoes and chicken
- Pull the rosemary leaves off the sprigs for each packet and sprinkle around the packet
- Squeeze a lemon wedge over each packet and then place a slice of lemon on each chicken breast
- Carefully fold the foil making sure everything is covering and can’t leak
Place in oven and cook for 30 minutes or until chicken is 165* internal temp and potatoes are tender.