— Amber Trejo M.S., beRevolutionarie Nutritionist
Makes 9-12 treats
*vegan if using vegan marshmallows
The best holiday sweet pre-workout treat has arrived! Peppermint is one of my favorite holiday flavors this time of year and when it’s combined with chocolate in any way, it’s heaven for my tastebuds. This holiday-inspired matcha peppermint chip rice Krispy treat will put some pep in your step for when you gear up for your next workout.
To get the most out of our workouts, we need to have a quality pre-workout snack. Exercising on an empty stomach can hinder our progress and actually decrease our energy output which will leave us with fewer calories burned. I am always trying to find or create easy pre-workout treats that do not weigh me down but give me the energy I need to make through a tough workout and are still healthy for me. That’s where I got creative in the kitchen and one of the ingredients I used in this recipe is from one of our favorite partner brands, Aila!
So what makes a good pre-workout snack? A pre-workout should be less than 10 grams of fat and moderate in carbohydrates with some sugar as this will be your primary fuel source for energy. A little bit of fat helps with some fullness so your not starving mid-workout, and that could result in your sports performance declining. This rice Krispy treat gave me enough energy to power through a weight lifting session and bike ride for 45 minutes afterward.
The basics of the recipe are the mint chip marshmallows, peppermint extract. vegan butter, and brown rice cereal. The star of the recipe is the Superfood Energy Packet Matcha Blend from Aila. What I love about this matcha blend is the fact that it is smooth energy from matcha powder and green coffee extract; both of which have a high antioxidant capacity and offer their own health benefits.
Green coffee has high levels of chlorogenic acid which has potent anti-inflammatory effects and helps lower blood pressure. Matcha tea has EGCG, a catechin with powerful antioxidant properties that may help reduce the risk of some cancers. Matcha tea also has an amino acid called L-Theanine which is responsible for the “calm” energy you get from tea. This amino acid is what prevents the caffeine jitters that those may experience when drinking coffee. The last thing you want is to experience caffeine jitters right before a workout! This green tea blend also has vitamins B6 and B12 which are key vitamins for energy metabolism and supporting your immune system.
Enjoy this rice Krispy treat and crush your workout knowing you are getting some nutritional benefits from your guilt-free indulgence!
What You Need:
- 110 g 365 brand Brown Rice Crisp cereal
- 65 g Earth Balance Butter (I use earth balance soy-free blend)
- 100 g Peppermint Chip Smashmallow marshmallows cut in half (Can use vegan marshmallows, but then add in mini dark chips to this recipe)
- 1 Aila Matcha Energy Packet
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
What To Do:
- In a large saucepan on low heat, melt butter ( I used my cast iron pan because it was deep and wide enough)
- Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted
- Add in Aila Superfood Energy Packet Matcha Blend and stir
- Remove from heat
- Add the brown rice cereal and with a spatula fold the brown rice in the mixture until well coated
- Transfer to a baking dish or brownie pan, with a sturdy spatula or large spoon, firmly and evenly press mixture until spread thorough the pan.
- Let cool at room temperature for 15-30 minutes or 15 minutes in the refrigerator for a firmer treat. Cut into 2-inch squares, eat 30 minutes before each workout.