— Amber Trejo M.S., beRevolutionarie Nutritionist
It’s that time of the month where anything chocolate happens to fall in your mouth, you feel like a water balloon and not sure if you’re mad or sad. Many women suffer from mild to severe PMS symptoms and this is due to the fluctuation of hormones like estrogen and progesterone. If your estrogen levels are higher, you may experience more tender breasts and be a bit more moody. Food has the ability to impact our hormones and our menstrual cycle. If we tend to have a low fiber diet and lack adequate micronutrients like essential fatty acids, magnesium, potassium, and iron, we are going to feel sluggish, moody and get intense cravings. That is where these brownie bites come in.
This recipe is not only decadent and delicious, it’s nutrient-dense to help support PMS by crushing cravings and helping give your body some nutritional love. Oats are high in fiber and iron; both essential nutrients especially for that time of the month. Fiber helps keep you full and will also assist with the occasional constipation that happens right before our cycles. We lose a lot of iron during our menstrual cycle and oats are an easy way to provide us with some iron.
The real stars of this recipe are the flaxseeds and chocolate! The ligands and the omega 3 fatty acid, alpha-linolenic acids (ALA), found in flaxseeds have been observed to reduce the severity of cramps and other symptoms of PMS like breast tenderness. Studies have also seen improved stress responses in women who incorporated flaxseed into their diet; leaving them to experience better moods. Flaxseeds have been linked to other health benefits like reduced risk of cardiovascular disease and a reduction in cholesterol, so this ingredient is a win!
Dark chocolate is rich in potassium, magnesium and can be a decent source of iron. The flavanols in chocolate have the ability to influence our mood, leaving us a bit happier and less anxious. At the end of the day chocolate is comforting and what comforts us tends to relax us, it’s exactly what we need during this time.
What you need:
100g GF oat flour or GF old fashioned rolled oats
90g Almond Butter
60g Semi-sweet dark chocolate mini chips (I use Enjoy Life)
50g Maple syrup
1.5-1.75 oz Vanilla unsweetened Almond Milk
20g cocoa powder
2 Tbsp ground flax seed
2 tsp vanilla extract
What to do:
- In a blender, blend the rolled oats until they become oat flour if you do not have oat flour on hand
- In a large bowl, mix together all of the dry ingredients: oat flour, cocoa powder, flaxseed, and chocolate chips.
- Add almond butter, maple syrup, and vanilla.
- Using a sturdy spatula, mix and fold together until well incorporated. Make sure all the flour and cocoa are mixed in and there is no dry flour left.
- Add almond milk a little at a time to blend in loose flour better without making it too moist.
- Using a small ice cream scoop or a tablespoon, scoop and drop a ball into your hands. Roll and compress into a round shape.
- Freeze for 10 minutes, Enjoy!
- If you prefer a “drier” brownie bite, use the 1.5 oz milk measurement. If you like a more moist consistency, use 1.75-2 oz milk measurement.
- Depending on the size of the scooper, this can make 10-16 bites.
- Keep these refrigerated.